Thursday, October 2, 2014

Looking at football in a new way

So, it's football season... I never really liked the Washington Redskins, but that was because my Dad hated the team too. Not because of the issue the team is facing today.. Because we are Miami Dolphins fans, that's why!

In the last year or so, I've been asked... And my husband has been asked... What our feeling are about the "Redskins" name. I really hate to answer that question for a number of reasons:

1. I don't want to be "that Indian friend" in conversations. They usually start like this...
"Well, I have an Indian friend that" isn't offended... Doesn't care... Thinks it's not a big deal...
Somehow, if one Native American person isn't offended, it negates the whole debate. 

2. It isn't a battle I have chosen to take on. There are MANY, MANY issues in Indian Country today. It's very easy to become overwhelmed. Some off the top of my head are... Poverty, alcoholism, violence, child welfare, tribal government corruption, rape, diabetes, obesity, nutrition, kidnapping, natural resources, tribal enrollment, tribal recognition, drugs, gambling, education, sacred site... 


3. It's a complex answer... I just don't want to give a 20 minute speech to every person who asks while my 2 year old is in the middle of a melt down ;)

So here it is in a nutshell...

Yes, the Redskins name has a dark history. Not cool at all!

Yes, it is hard to see people parading around in regalia that is reserved to honor our people, our warriors and the creator!

Yes, I hope my children never feel "less than" because the drove by a sign like this!


Yes, I do believe that a great majority of football fans feel that they are somehow honoring Native Americans by using our identity as mascots to signify bravery and strength, etc.

In my home, the Washington Redskins are just a football team. When my son saw this picture he exclaimed "football"! 

Personally. I want my kids to feel about it the way my husband and I do. That we are bigger than some stereotyped Indian mascot. We are Apaches! We are not the costumes you see on Halloween, we are not the Natives you see on "Dances with Wolves". We are not the drunk Indians down the street. We are educated, confident, and successful. When my children look around for a Native American role model, I want them to look at us. To look at other members of my family, like my baby sister and cousins that basically have a free ride to college because of their academic merit. Like my cousins that are single parents, fighting every day to get and give their best to their children. Like my Aunts and Uncles that give their time and energy to the younger generations to make sure we have our culture, our stories... To make sure we are all taken care of, to fight for us.
That, the idiots that think it's ok to marginalized or minimize the distress of those who are offended are just that, idiots....

So yeah, I'm not too upset about the Washington Redskins name... I do however, respect the people who are offended. They are hurting... They are angry... They are fighting for my children to live in a better world. I appreciate them. 

That's my 2 cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment