Friday, June 21, 2013

Top 5 Renovation Realities



It seems like I've been working on this house forever. Then I am reminded I have only been living here for 10 months. There are days that I feel so overwhelmed with all the projects going on at once. I have to decided what I am going to do based on my son's mood. Some days he's clingy, so I might work on the dining room walls. If he's easily entertained I can move onto bigger projects. It can be challenging, but I try to keep in mind that there is no impending due date. It'll get done, when it gets done.

Here's what I've learned so far:

Top 5 Renovation Realities

1. Don't wear flip flops.
Luckily, I didn't have to learn this by getting injured. But I did wear flip flops one day and my feet got so dirty and they hurt! Wear supportive shoes at least, a thick sole if you are working around nails.

2. Have the right tools.
Ok, so I have to admit I still don't know the names of half the tools I use. I just tell Brandon what I want to work on and he gives me what I need. But having the correct tools make a project go along much quicker and more importantly, cause as little damage as possible.

3. Sweat ain't nothing but a thing.
Honey, your days of being a princess is over. You're going to sweat and stink... deal with it. Bandanna's are great to catch the dripping sweat. Rinse it out in cold water and put it back on to help keep you cool.

4. Clean up.
I might be tired and stinky, but trust me - if it was you - you're going to be happy the next day when you wake up and there's not complete chaos waiting for you. Yes, things will still be unsettling for sure, I mean half the walls have wallpaper and half don't.... could be worse!

5. I did it!
The amazing sense of satisfaction after you completed a project is immeasurable! Not only did I learn a new skill, but I can stand back and know that I made this happen. I created something beautiful from 40 year old, triple painted walls and carpet that disintegrated in our hands!



No comments:

Post a Comment